Blog Archive

Sunday, December 21, 2014

Elder Inman Letter December 15, 2014

The Final Transfer

I don't know what to do with myself. I can't believe this is it. I have 7 weeks left to serve the Lord full-time. And the verdict is.... I am being TRANSFERRED to DILLON, MT! I was trained in Sheridan just 30 miles East of there! I even spent some time in Dillon on exchanges. That is THE cowboy town in the mission. Hopefully I can see some people from Sheridan as well. My address (courtesy of Elder Rasmusson) is:
255 Valley View Rd.
Dillon, MT 59725
 
I will actually be training for my final transfer. Nearly our entire MTC District went from being Zone Leaders to training :)
 
It was quite the week indeed. Monday we had all of our appointments fall through so we went to Family Home Evening in the Singles Ward (we cover that ward as well). They had a white elephant gift exchange. We all stood in a circle and had a gift in hand. The girl who planned it read a modified version of the Christmas story and each time she used the word "right", "left", or "across" we would pass in that direction. At the end we opened up our gifts. What we didn't realize, was one of the gift bags had live goldfish in it! And I got that bag...with all the passing going on, one of the 5 goldfish actually died hahahahahahaha. In the bag was real goldfish and pringles. It didn't occur to me till after that it was "fish and chips!" Elder Burnham didn't have a gift at first so he found a partially drank half-gallon of eggnog haha. Gross. He ended up with an electric fly swatter and Elder snell got a toy elf that poops jelly beans.
Tuesday we taught the word of wisdom in 3 different lessons. But they were all really good and powerful!
I don't think I've ever been more frustrated with a service project than I was on Wednesday. After district meeting this lady (who is not a member) wanted the missionaries to help her move. Sounds good right? We showed up with three sets of Elders. Come to find out that this lady expected the Elders to move everything out of her house into a  U-HAUL that WE were expected to buy, DRIVE her to her new home, and unload it all without any effort on her part. What made it worse was she told us it had to be done that day. She had the next day too but didn't tell us so we had to cancel appointments. She was flat out rude and disrespectful without any interest in the church. And her house was disgusting.We had to call two Bishops, find a driver for the UHAUL (that our Bishop bought with his own money), and spend 4 hours moving her to her home 15 miles away.
The next day was far better. We got a call from Sister Marshall in SHERIDAN. There was a less-active family from Twin Bridges (still in the Sheridan Ward that I covered nearly 2 years ago) who had a baby in ICU. Apparently the baby was having brain complications. I was asked to give the blessing to that small baby in a hospital bed. It was a neat experience and I felt the spirit testify to me that this baby was with it's Father in Heaven not too long ago. And that it still had a life to live :) I was able to talk with these members and they brightened up a bit when I was able to talk about some of the people I know from that ward. I hope this experience will help them come back into the gospel.
Friday and Saturday we got to help greet for "Handel's Messiah" put on by the stake! They have been practicing since July of this year and there was a great turnout of non-members and less-actives. There was a complete orchestra and choir. SO GOOD! I'm not really into the opera deal but if you ever want to memorize scriptures about the Savior, listen to that performance just twice haha. The lyrics are all scripture. After the performance Saturday night, we had a non-member lady come up to us and ask if she could set up an appointment with us. Pretty sweet!
THANK YOU Grandpa and Grandpa for the Christmas gift! It came at a needed time :) I love you both and miss you! Grandpa, thank you for your mission stories and memories from your life! They uplift and inspire me.
Hope everyone has a fantastic week! I know that this is the only true church on the face of this earth. A Prophet of God leads this church with Keys that allow the church to function properly by Priesthood power. Joseph Smith saw who he said he saw. God the Father and His Son Jesus Christ. This is Their church and we are so blessed to be a part of it! Love you!