Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Elder Inman Letter November 25, 2013

Happy Thanksgiving!


Gobble Gobble! How is everyone? Things have been pretty busy and freezing up here! It got down to 9 degrees Wednesday with wind. My face was numb. But I am loving every bit of it.

 
President Mecham was in town this week, he was trying to interview everyone before the next transfer. So it was really good to visit with him and to just talk about whatever was on my mind. He gave me some assignments for my District. It has been kind of fun having responsibilities again and being able to assist other missionaries with things they need help with. I love helping people! A little later on Wednesday, we played scrabble with Tim, our 76 year old less-active. I took 2nd place, Elder Denslow won :P We felt like after hammering Tim with so many commitments and teaching him every other day, he just needed a break and needed to laugh. So that's what we did and then shared a message afterward. It was fun!

 
The highlight of the day was visiting the Harris family. Probably the highlight of the week actually. . Brother Harris is very . Sister Harris hasn't been as active, so we have been trying to reach out to her. They just had their first baby 2 weeks ago. We asked Brother Harris what he thought we should teach and he said, we should teach the Commandments. We did Obedience, Praying, Reading the Scriptures, and Sabbath Day attendance. Afterwards, I felt like we needed to show a Mormon message that I had watched earlier that morning called, "Motherhood: An Eternal Partnership with God." The feeling was beyond words. I had watched this video before, but this time around, it brought me to tears. Mom, I could not help but think of all the things you have done for me. I would not be on a mission, I would not have had any confidence in myself, and I would be a mess. Watching this video got to me, and I shared that with Sister Harris. That Sister Harris was trusted with that particular Spirit that was previously with our father in Heaven only two weeks ago. I testified to her that I was sent to the family I was, because Heavenly Father knew that the parents I would need, are the ones I have right now. The only ones that I could be successful with and raised correctly. It hit home. For all of us in the room. Sister Harris came to church Sunday and now wants to take the lessons over again. It was an incredible experience :)

 
We found a new Less-Active named Patricia who made us snickerdoodles. She was at church as well which was cool. Other events this week, was Zone Leader Training. I was asked to conduct a discussion and role play on the Gospel of Jesus Christ with an emphasis on extending baptismal dates. It was a very long meeting though. Everyone who had not yet received an iPad, was supposed to remain after for provisioning. It was supposed to take 30 minutes, and took 2 hours -__-. Oh well.

 
Bigfork is like no other town in America. Saturday morning, from 8 till about noon, people from all over the community gathered together in Santa hats and decorated the ENTIRE town! Weaved evergreen garland, lights, red bows, new trees, a tree lighting, music, hot chocolate, and a free bowl of chili. It was an awesome opportunity for us since there were so many people we could talk too. And it was fun too and set up decorations! I was freezing though. People from other states, and Canada come up to Bigfork, JUST to do this. After that, we found a part-member family that we got to teach and hang out with.
 
Sunday we gave talks in Sacrament meeting. Missionary smack-down. Tim came to church on a Sunday this time! That's actually a pretty funny story. So we went to Tim's house at about 9AM to get him up and dressed. We knocked on his door and we heard him come to the door, look through the peep hole, and sigh. So we kept knocking and ringing the door bell. We waited quietly for about 3 minutes and he opened the door really slowly. I said, "you thought we were gone didn't ya Tim?" He had a smirk and said, "I don't know." Elder Denslow helped him get ready while I scraped the ice off his car. Funny guy.

I tried a new food yesterday. Deep fried oreo. I was pretty skeptical, but it was actually pretty good. I could only eat one though because of how sweet it was. Who would have thought! Well I hope you have a great Thanksgiving! We will be at the Allen's (recent convert) who was a chef for a living! Prime rib, ham, and turkey :) Score! Love you!